Jan Thomas PhD, CSP
Safety Expert for Attorneys LLC
- 4625 Three Chopt Road
- Gum Springs, VA 23065
Safety Expert for Attorneys, LLC, selectively works with attorneys on cases involving safety management issues, using root cause analysis as a guiding principle in reviewing the facts. Our clients include attorneys representing both defendants and plaintiffs.
Safety Expert for Attorneys, LLC provides the following services:
• Accident Investigation
• Forensic Photography
• Case & Subject Research
• Expert and Professional Reports
• Depositions & Court Testimony
Safety Expert for Attorneys, LLC has proven technical subject matter expertise in:
• Federal & State OSHA matters
• Workers Compensation Claims
• Safety of the Public including slip/trip/fall
• Emergency Planning & Services
• All sectors of industry, light to heavy
• Construction Trades & heavy equipment
• Soil mechanics, excavation & trenching
• Warehousing, loading docks & forklifts
• Retail venues – interior & exterior
• Office environments & ergonomics
• Health care environments
• Workplace Violence
Please note, Dr. Thomas is:
• Qualified in State and Federal Courts
• Experienced with AAA process & ALJ hearings
• Recognized as a Technical Subject Matter Expert
• A Dynamic Public Speaker
Jan Thomas, PhD, CSP is the principal of Safety Expert for Attorneys, LLC. She is a nationally recognized safety professional who began her career in 1975 as a Federal OSHA compliance safety and health officer. After 7 years with OSHA she was acknowledged as a subject matter expert in construction safety, heavy industry, fatality and incident/accident investigations.
Dr. Thomas has the distinction of being the first professional woman to work in the Virginia Department of Labor & Industry when she was appointed Chief Administrator of the Virginia Occupational Safety & Health Program. During her tenure she developed administrative rules and put into place compliance tools so that VOSH could complete its requirements for its Federal OSHA State Plan application. She also introduced computers and data collection to the agency. One of her duties was to work with the Virginia Attorney General's Office on unusual cases within the jurisdiction of the Department of Labor & Industry and the Department of Health.
In 1985, Dr. Thomas joined the faculty of Virginia Commonwealth University as a full-time assistant professor where she taught classes including Human Factors Engineering; Safety Management; Accident Investigation; Safety Law and Senior Seminar. During her time at VCU, Dr. Thomas performed academic research in a number of areas including emergency services and workplace violence.
Dr. Thomas moved from full-time teaching in 1994 when she started Circle Safety Consultants. Her company grew with the addition of Anna Jolly, JD as a partner and became Circle Safety and Health Consultants, LLC. (www.circlesafety.com) In 2012, Dr. Thomas retired from Circle Safety to focus on photography, fiber arts, and her work with attorneys.
Occupational safety and health professional with doctorate and professional certification and over 40 years of experience with court cases at the federal and state levels including ALJ and AAA. Subject matter expertise includes OSHA regulatory compliance, accident and fatality investigations, development of policy and procedures, program management and extensive experience in education, training, research, technical writing, forensic photography and expert witness testimony. Knowledgable of International,stare and local building codes. Hazard auditing has been performed in all sectors of work. Experienced in safety issues encountered by workers and the general public.
• Occupational Safety & Health Consulting Expert including Forensic Services 1991 - Present
• President & Consultant; Circle Safety & Health Consultants, LLC 1994 - 2012
• Adjunct Assistant Professor; Virginia Commonwealth University School of Business 2012 & Columbia Southern University (on-line) 2010 - 2012
• Adjunct Assistant Professor; Emergency Services Management (ESM) undergraduate & graduate degrees, University of Richmond 2006 - 2008
• Assistant Professor; Safety & Risk Administration (SRA) Program, Virginia Commonwealth University 1985 - 1994
• Chief Administrator - Virginia Occupational Safety & Health (VOSH) Program 1981 - 1985
• Compliance Officer; USDOL Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), Region III 1975 - 1981
• Doctor of Philosophy in Public Administration of Risk, Virginia Commonwealth University 1993
• Master of Science in Safety Management, University of Southern California 1979
• Bachelor of Arts in Russian Language, Old Dominion University 1974
• Certified Safety Professional (#14267)
• Emergency Medical Technician – not current
• ASHI CPR, First Aid & AED Trainer – not current
• Authorized OSHA Trainer (Construction & General Industry) – not current
• Certified Richmond Tree Steward
• Virginia Certified Master Naturalist
• American Society of Safety Engineers
• Board of Certified Safety Professionals
• Holly Grove Volunteer Rescue Squad (Louisa County) - Life Member & President 1996-98
• Richmond Citizen Emergency Response Team (CERT)
• International Society of Arboriculture (Richmond Chapter)
• Numerous published articles and three national writing awards
• June 2011 nominated and recognized as one of the first 100 women in the safety and health professions - WISE award by ASSE
Dr. Thomas' case log & fee schedule will be sent upon request at time of engagement.
If your case is out of state, Dr. Thomas is able to travel.
Jan Thomas PhD, CSP
Safety Expert for Attorneys LLC
4625 Three Chopt Road
Gum Springs, Virginia 23065
Please feel free to contact Dr. Thomas by phone: 804.387.7654
Or by email: email@example.com
If you are in need of consultation concerning a specific citation with VOSH/OSHA or you need safety documentation developed (i.e. safety policy or safety manual) or safety training then Circle Safety & Health Consultants is highly recommended. See www.circlesafety.com for information.